Sunday, April 13, 2014

Buttonhole Binding


This is a book I made at a local book artist's home yesterday. It is a slight modification of Keith Smith's Buttonhole binding. I felt a little rushed at the end of class and you can see it in the bottom stitching of the book. I hope to have some time today to sit down and do another book with a little more care and time.


This book is constructed with Davey board which gives it a bit more more heft than using cardstock. The top and bottom part of the spine are wrapped with book cloth. The thread used for binding is a 4-ply waxed linen from Royalwood, Ltd. The inside sections and outside book cover are monoprints done with acrylics and plexiglass. Each one is unique. This is a video on YouTube that is very similar to what I did with my printing.


Instructions for this binding is found in Volume I Non-Adhesive Binding: Books Without Paste or Glue. Keith Smith's books can be found on his website.

It is a very beautiful book, I am definitely going to need to make some more.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely, Kim! I do hope you find time this year to post more. You have a great blog voice and I enjoy your photos, easy to follow instructions and the links you share...not to mention you create awesome projects!

    Hugs,
    Angi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angi! It's been my goal the last 4 years or so to blog more. I plan to keep a running log of projects here - which I hope to stay true to this year.

      Delete